Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1921, four ladies residing in the Yankee Ridge School District No. 1377, near Wilcox, Saskatchewan, got together and decided to establish a club for companionship, socialization and charitable work. The four founding members were Mrs. Cabeen; Mrs. Coons; Mrs. A.J. O'Byrne and Mrs. Travilla. The club was originally known as O.A.O. (One Afternoon Out) but as more members joined and the activities centered on the school, the name was changed to Yankee Ridge Community Club. The Yankee Ridge School, established in 1905, was supposedly named after a ridge of land in the area and the first settlers, who were American or "Yankees".
Members of the Club performed charity work and sponsored various social activities, many of which were held in the one room school. Club activities included hosting dances, bridal showers and summer picnics; sending cards and floral bouquets to ill and bereaved individuals and families; serving lunches at farm auctions; holding bake sales and donating clothes, food, and money to various organizations. Club officers, elected at the annual meeting, included a president; vice-president; secretary; and treasurer. Membership was limited to twenty-five members. Members in the Club for twenty-five years were designated honorary members. The Club appears to have dissolved around 1991.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by members of the Yankee Ridge Community Club while it was active in the Wilcox, Saskatchewan area. The types of records included are minutes (1929-1983); programmes; reports; Club histories; membership lists; one photograph of the four founders of the Club; two photographs of the Yankee Ridge Community Club float in the Wilcox Homecoming parade in 1990 and two first prize ribbons awarded to the Club for the float.
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.