Fonds - Women's Auxiliary of the Regina General Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Women's Auxiliary of the Regina General Hospital fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1929-1940 (Creation)
    Place
    Regina (Saskatchewan)

Physical description area

Physical description

4.1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Women's Auxiliary of the Regina General Hospital was formed in 1907 "to forward the interests of the hospital in any way considered desirable by the Auxiliary." Membership of the Auxiliary was open to any woman upon enrolment of a membership fee of fifty cents, and Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Van Valkenburg (nee Chalmers) was named the first President. The Women's Auxiliary raised funds through membership fees, bridge parties, raffles, a Gift Cart, and teas at graduation, hospital days, and holidays. In return, the Auxiliary donated furniture and supplies to the hospital; donated subscriptions, flowers and drapes to the nurses' home; placed Christmas trees and flowers in the wards at Christmas; and placed handmade favours on patients' trays at Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving. The Auxiliary awarded an annual prize in Obstetrical Nursing to a graduate of the School of Nursing. The Women's Auxiliary of the Regina General Hospital disbanded in 1969.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Auxiliary Minute Books for the years 1929 to 1940. Entries record the names of the Executive, including addresses and phone numbers; Auxiliary members present at meetings; and activities (fund raising, donations, events). Fonds also includes a (photocopy) of a cook book published by the Women's Auxiliary.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No other finding aids available

Associated materials

Related material: For the constitution and bylaws of the Women's Auxiliary, see the Regina General Hospital fonds. For a biography of the first president of the Women's Auxiliary, Elizabeth Jane Van Valkenburg (nee Chalmers), see the Regina General Hospital School of Nursing fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Accession 1999.24; Box 159

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres