Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Woman’s Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Conference Branch sub-series (A.381.XII.B).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church Woman's Missionary Society, Saskatchewan Branch
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The United Church of Canada was created in 1925, from the union of Presbyterian, Methodist, Congregationalist and Local Union churches. The women’s organizations from the uniting denominations at the time included: the Canada Congregational Woman's Board of Missions (mostly in eastern Canada, since 1886); the Women’s Missionary Society of the Methodist Church (founded 1876); the Woman's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church in Canada, Eastern Division (founded 1825) and Western Division (founded 1876); along with their various corresponding regional and local units. Soon after union, these became national, regional and local units of the United Church of Canada Woman’s Missionary Society (WMS).
The new Society had its first annual meeting in 1926. Like the earlier societies, it brought the message of missions before the entire community of the Church, while offering financial support and personnel to its own wide mission programme.
In 1962, United Church WMS and WA organizations across the country amalgamated to form the United Church Women (UCW). Presbyterial and local groups developed along similar lines to national bodies, becoming local and presbyterial UCW units in January 1962.
Records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records created by the Saskatchewan Branch of the WMS, its members, treasurers, circles and committee(s).
Contents include: meeting minutes (1926-1962); bylaws and resolutions; annual reports; membership records; financial records; School for Leaders minutes and associated documents; Baby Band conference and presbyterial reports; select publications; scrapbooks; and WMS conference and presbyterial histories (to 1961). Additional historical materials included the fonds were collected by Mrs. Mary McKechnie, first president of the Qu’Appelle Presbyterian WMS and later of the Saskatchewan Conference WMS. There is also a daily register of pupils from Round Lake Indian School (1942-1946).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material