Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Town of Whitewood is an urban municipality incorporated on December 31, 1892 under the provisions of An Ordinance to Incorporate the Town of Whitewood (No. 34 of 1892). The first municipal officials, elected on January 30, 1893 included James Grierson (mayor), four councilors and John Hawkes (town clerk).The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.
The Town of Whitewood, named for the clumps of white poplars in the area, is an agricultural based community located at 7-16-2-W2 in southeastern Saskatchewan, approximately 175 kilometers east of Regina. The town is often referred to as Crossroad Country as it is intersected by two major highways, the Trans Canada and Highway No. 9. The town is situated in Willowdale Rural Municipality No. 153.
The town is currently (2006) governed by a mayor and six councilors, each elected to three year terms. Subcommittees of Council manage public services, community economic development and recreation. The general administration of the town is handled by an administrator and an office clerk. The current population is 947.