Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
45 photographs : prints
6 photographs : negatives
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1928, a group of citizens in Regina, Saskatchewan decided to organize a club with facilities for playing badminton. Shares were sold to raise funds for the construction of a four-court badminton club, located at the corner of Albert Street and 19th Avenue. The Wascana Badminton Club began operating in January, 1930. In 1934, the executive of the Wascana Badminton Club decided to add a figure skating rink to its existing facility. They approached the Regina Figure Skating Club, which operated out of Exhibition Stadium, with a proposal to amalgamate. An agreement was made between the two clubs and construction began on the new rink. On October 1, 1934, the Wascana Badminton Club became known as the Wascana Winter Club.
In 1941, the clubhouse was taken over by the Department of National Defence and became a recruiting and training centre for the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve. The facility was turned back to the Wascana Winter Club after the war. A curling rink was added to the facility in 1949. In March, 1974 the roof of the skating and curling section of the building collapsed under heavy snow. The Wascana Winter Club thereafter ceased to operate and was struck off the corporate registry in Saskatchewan on September 15, 1976. The remaining section of the building, used for badminton, was destroyed by fire on May 4, 1977.
The Wascana Winter Club provided its members with skating, badminton and curling facilities, which were open to men, women and children. The Club hosted annual skating carnivals and tournaments and employed skating professionals to give lessons. The Club held memberships in the Canadian Figure Skating Association and the Saskatchewan Badminton Association. The organization was governed by an executive, including a president and secretary-manager; directors; and various committees.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by executive members of the Wascana Badminton Club and its successor organization, the Wascana Winter Club during its operation in Regina, Saskatchewan. The types of records included are minutes; financial records; auditors' reports; constitution and by-laws; correspondence; membership lists; photographs; programmes and yearbooks for ice shows and carnivals; a poster; and plans. The fonds includes a small volume of the personal records of Hugh H. Meldrum, former secretary-manager of the Wascana Winter Club, including photographs and financial records.
No series assignment was applied to the records in this fonds. The headings assigned to the records in R-172 are as follows: Minutes; Accounts; Auditors' Reports; Carnival Committees; Club Activities; Club Operations; Correspondence; Curling Shares; Membership; Personal - H.H. Meldrum; Photographs; Plans; Shareholders; Sports Associations and Committees; and Synoptic Ledgers.