Fonds MJ-002 - Moose Jaw Co-Ordinating War Services Council fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moose Jaw Co-Ordinating War Services Council fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-002

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1940-1952; predominant 1940 - 1946 (Creation)
    Creation
    Moose Jaw Co-Ordinating War Services Council

Physical description area

Physical description

58.8 cm of textual records.
1 object.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Moose Jaw Co-Ordinating War Services Council was established in 1940. Officers were J.W.A. Poulton, chairman, J.R. Castle, treasurer, and H.C. Morgan, secretary. Records and scrapbooks were kept by Mrs. Olive (Philip H.) West, chairman of the Parcel and Records Committee.
The Council operated the War Services Club for all branches of the armed forces. It was located in the Bank of Montreal Building on Main Street and Fairford Street East. It was established to provide recreation and a social centre for all servicemen, Canadian and those from overseas, who were being trained at the Service Flying Training Schools (S.F.T.S.) in Moose Jaw and area from 1940 to 1944. Through contacting the Club, citizens hosted servicemen for dinners and entertainment on Sundays and holidays.
The Moose Jaw War Service Auxiliary and the Moose Jaw War Services Council Parcel and Records Committee had nearly 2500 names on its mailing list for regular parcel service. They collected goods and money for parcels to be sent to Canadian troops. Much was directed through the Red Cross. Later, the Welfare Committee of the Council would meet “hospital” trains and supply the soldiers with some comforts.
Following the closure of the numerous training camps and the departure of many servicemen, the facility in the Bank of Montreal Building was closed. The Council continued to function, particularly the committees in charge of records, parcels, welfare, and welcoming troops home. The last reports were issued in 1946.

Custodial history

Accession Number 2.BA donated to the archives by Eleanor Mossop (1907-1986).
The third accession, material added in 2012, is believed to have been donated with the earlier material, however, shelved separately and consequently not processed at the same time.

Scope and content

This fonds contains five series, the first consists of the records kept by the War Services Council and the War Services Auxiliary. Included is an Honour Roll of Moose Jaw servicemen, reports of the Parcels and Records Committee, two binders of newspaper reports on local servicemen killed, missing in action, or taken prisoner of war. There are also acknowledgment and thank you letters from parents to Moose Jaw City Council for the memorials and tributes paid to their fallen sons. There are two scrapbooks of newspaper clippings of war-related news. The second series contains 2 Visitor Books and a Reception and Adopted Homes Book of the War Services Club. The third series is financial records, including receipts, statements and ledgers. The fourth series is made up of minutes, reports and by-laws. The final series is comprised of correspondence, including thank you notes and letters relating to ration amounts.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession Number 2 BA donated to the archives by Eleanor Mossop (1907-1986). The third accession, material added in 2012, is believed to have been donated with the earlier material, however, shelved separately and consequently not processed at the same time.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access is not restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A file list and a box list are available. See attached finding aid.

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

A portion of this fonds were re-boxed in 2000. Wrapped in mylar in 2004. Material was added, re-boxed and foldered in 2006. Material was added, re-boxed and refoldered in 2012.

Location note

Boxes V-121, V-179 – V-182, H-1, H-73, H-101

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres