Fonds F455 - Village of Creelman fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Village of Creelman fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

F455

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1976 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.9 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Village of Creelman is an urban municipality incorporated on April 6, 1906 under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees. The village was originally administered by an overseer, councillors, and a secretary-treasurer.

The Village of Creelman is an agricultural based community located on the west half of section 16, township 10, range 10, west of the second meridian, 90 kilometers northwest of the City of Weyburn in the southeast corner of Saskatchewan. The village straddles Highway 33 between Fillmore and Heward and is located within Fillmore Rural Municipality No. 96. Although homesteaders in the area originally named the village Hazel, the Canadian Pacific Railway changed the name in 1904 to Creelman in honour of A. Robert Creelman, a solicitor for the railway at the time.

In 2005, the village covered an area of 1.15 square kilometers and had a population of 85. The village's municipal officials included a mayor, four councillors and an administrator.

Custodial history

Verna Wiggins, village administrator, transferred these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in one accession in 2005: R2005-047 (February 24, 2005).

Scope and content

This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used from 1930 to 1976 by the secretary-treasurer and administrator of the Village of Creelman.

The records relate to the Workers' Compensation Board and include copies of the employer's payroll statements, assessment notices, correspondence, and newsletters.

No series were identified within the fonds.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

File title provided by records creator.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are subject to access restrictions. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication and/or reproduction of records are subject to Crown copyright. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Finding aids

SAFA 301 consists of a fonds description.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres