Fonds 1999.59 - Victoria Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Victoria Hospital fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

1999.59

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1901 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1899, construction began on a new hospital for the residents of Regina, located on Hamilton Street south of 14th Avenue. Paid for by public subscriptions and a $1500 contribution from the Victorian Order of Nurses, the new 25-bed facility replaced the much smaller Cottage Hospital. The Victorian Hospital was completed in 1900 and officially opened in September 1901. A Board of Directors consisting of a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and Counsellors managed the Victoria Hospital. Six physicians and two dentists were appointed to the staff of 1901. In addition, a Matron was appointed to manage the care of patients and the facility, and to oversee the Training School for Nurses opened in 1902; and a Clerk was hired to keep the books of the Hospital, list the members of the Corporation, and manage supplies. In 1907, the Victoria Hospital was taken over by the Health and Relief Department of the City of Regina, and was renamed the Regina General Hospital. A larger facility was built shortly thereafter.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the 1901 By-laws of the Corporation of the Victoria Hospital.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No other finding aids currently available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres