Fonds MJ-64 - University Women's Club of Moose Jaw fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

University Women's Club of Moose Jaw fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1921-1983 (Creation)
    University Women's Club of Moose Jaw
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

82 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The University Women’s Club of Moose Jaw was formed in 1921. The first meetings were organized by Miss Ethel Kirk Grayson and Mrs. Jane Graham with 14 members attending.
They were affiliated with the Canadian Federation of University Women which was itself linked to the International Federation of University Women.
The stated objectives were “to stimulate intellectual activity among university women” and “to work for the practical advancement of art, science, literature and civic and social reform.”
The group met initially at the public library and later at the YMCA. These meetings generally dealt with business at hand and no refreshments were served. Social events were often held in members homes.
The group sponsored several awards and scholarships including the Jennie E. Graham and Flora E. Warner scholarships.
They also sponsored speakers on a wide variety of topics.
An early childhood study group resulted in a nursery school pilot project during May and June 1973. This became St. George’s Nursery School in 1974. The program did not have any religious affiliation. It was so named because it was housed in rented space in the basement of St. George’s Church. The nursery school was operated by a standing committee of the club until 1982.
A unanimous motion was passed on June 21, 1982 to take steps to dissolve the club. Assets were disposed of over that summer and the club disbanded in September.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds is composed of nine series including constitutional documents, membership records, minutes, annual reports, correspondence, financial records, various records of the Canadian Federation of University Women, and the records relating to the various scholarships and the preschool managed by the club.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donor unknown


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids and file list available.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.


This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004.


Minute books [series 2] in binders - retained to preserve original order of pages.


Record of Scholarships book [series 8] - spine broken free due to severe crowding from items pasted into book.


One bankbook in MJ-64/5.002 has a degraded cover - plastic/painted coating has softened and has become tacky.

Location note

Box V 54, V-55, V-56, V-57, V-58, Box H 47, H-48, H-49, H-50

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres