University of Saskatchewan Faculty Club

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University of Saskatchewan Faculty Club

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Talk of starting a Faculty Club at the University of Saskatchewan started in 1921, but a club was not established until 1927. The centre for the club was a reading room in the administration building; and the club's major purpose became sponsoring a series of lectures by faculty members. Until 1947 it was for males only with the exception of one open meeting per year. Slowly, over the years, the club was also opened to other than faculty members: in 1937, government researchers were allowed to join; as were 'senior administrative personnel' in 1959; and by 1962, a degree was no longer a requirement of membership. In 1962, the club moved into the dean of Agriculture's house (its current location). On 19 May 1962, it was decided not to sponsor any more papers. From that point onward the club began to concentrate on providing food and drink. By 1974, 'most administrative officers' were permitted to join. The faculty club became a restaurant and bar on campus that secretaries, janitors, and students could not join. [Hayden, p.219-220].

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC