Fonds Fonds 2016 - University Libraries fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

University Libraries fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds 2016

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-1997 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

16 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Though the first recorded withdrawal from the University Library occurred in October 1909, nearly five decades passed before the Library had its own building. The early collection was housed either on the second floor of the College Building, later known as the Administration Building, or was scattered among a number of small departmental libraries. Plans for a new library building ended with the Depression; and a dramatically reduced acquisitions budget was offset by a grant from the Carnegie Corporation in 1933. In 1943 the University hired its first professional Librarian. A fire in the attic of the College Building in 1947 resulted in extensive water damage to the Library below. A combination of provincial grants and University fund raising financed the construction of the Murray Memorial Library, with space for the Provincial Archives, between 1954 and 1956. Over the next two decades the University Library System mirrored the expansion of the University in general and now includes a new main library building and branches in Education, Health Sciences, Law, Engineering, Geography/Physics, Thorvaldson, and Veterinary Medicine. The University Librarians have been: M.A. Morton, (1914-1940); J.M. Lothian, (1941-1943); T.R. Barcus, (1943-1945); D.C. Appelt, (1945-1979); N.A. Brown, (1979-1986); P.D. Wiens, (1986-1992); F.S. Winter [acting], (1992-1994); F.S. Winter, (1994- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes, agenda, reports, clippings, surveys, and studies pertaining to the administration and development of the University Library system.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff, and students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids available: series; file title lists only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres