Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- United Church of Canada Parkland Presbytery [1992–2000]
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Yorkton Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Yorkton Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan. Prior to Union, in 1925, there had also been a Yorkton District, in the Saskatchewan Conference of the Methodist Church.
In 1953, pastoral charges from part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35) were added and the combined presbytery was re-named Abernethy-Yorkton. In 1956, after a merger of Abernethy-Yorkton and Kamsack Presbyteries, the new combined body returned to the name Yorkton Presbytery. The name was changed to Parkland Presbytery in 1992.
In 2000, Saskatchewan Conference went from 10 presbyteries to 7, with each adopting a new name. Most pastoral charges from Parkland Presbytery became part of the new Good Spirit Presbytery.