Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Around 1888, ratepayers in the Stockholm area petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. An organizational meeting was held on September 24, 1888 at the residence of C.O. Hofstrand. The majority of ratepayers present were in favour of forming a school district and C.O. Hofstrand, Alex Steenberg and Eric Zakrison were elected trustees.
The Swea School District No. 139 was established on November 2, 1888. the responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
The school district was named Swea in honor of the wife of the first chairman of the school board. The students were taught at the C.O. Hofstrand residence by Annie Hendrickson until the one room school opened on July 11, 1891. Located on NW 9-19A-2-W2, the school originally operated only in the summer months. The school district boudaries were altered on April 27, 1891, October 6, 1905 and October 8, 1907. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Swea School District joined the Potashville School Unit No. 25 on February 28, 1964. The school closed in June, 1965.