Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On December 27, 1919, a committee of ratepayers petitioned the Department of Education for the establishment of a school district in the Girvin, Saskatchewan district. Approximately twelve children between the ages of five and sixteen resided in the proposed district at that time. On January 13, 1920, the committee met to organize the district and elect trustees. The individuals elected were Thomas Hansford (secretary-treasurer); F.J. Richardson (chairman); A.P. Wightman; F.J. Richardson and G. Allen (trustees). The Sunkist School District No. 4293 was established on March 1, 1920 in accordance with the provisions of the School Act.
The responsibilities of the Sunkist district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.
The Sunkist School, located at SE 1-25-1-W3, was built by Waterman-Waterbury Company Ltd. of Regina. On April 28, 1920, a debenture for $4250 was approved for building the school.
The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Sunkist School District joined the Davidson School Unit No. 31 on January 21, 1946. On March 1, 1946, all assets and liabilities were taken over by the school unit. The school closed in 1947 but was briefly reopened in 1949. In 1957, the school building was sold and relocated.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by officials of the Sunkist School District No. 4293 of Saskatchewan. The fonds includes correspondence of the secretary-treasurer (1919-1922); daily attendance registers (1923-24 and 1936-37); Grade ten promotion examination results (1930); records relating to the election of trustees (1920); an inspector's report to the trustees (1920); a list of school officials (1920); an agreement between the trustees and Beatrice Lick (1920); and a specification and plans relating to the construction of the school (c. 1920).
No series assignment was applied to the records in this fonds.