Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Thomas More College fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
7.4 m of textual records
ca. 300 photographs
ca. 300 photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Thomas More College, commonly called "STM," was established as a federated college of the University of Saskatchewan in 1936. The pre-history of the college goes back to 1913, with the public announcement by a group of Saskatoon Catholics that they hoped to establish a Catholic college at the University of Saskatchewan. In 1926, the Newman Society was formed and permission was granted for Fr. Basil Markle to come from Toronto to begin the Scholastic Philosophy Foundation at the university. In 1927 a house was constructed adjacent to the campus to provide a residence for Fr. Markle and a chapel and Newman clubrooms for the Catholic students at the university. In 1936, the bishops of Saskatchewan agreed to the establishment of a Catholic college "sometime in the future," but stated that, in view of the Depression economy, "it was absolutely impossible at this time." Still the Saskatoon laymen went ahead and called in Fr. Henry Carr of the Basilian Fathers of Toronto to meet with University President Walter Murray and see whether something could be done. As a result of the meetings of Carr and Murray and further negotiations with the bishops of Saskatchewan, St. Thomas More College was established by the Basilians and began operating as an Arts college affiliated with the University, with 39 students enrolled that first year (1936-37). The federated status of the college was formally acknowledged by the university in 1953. In 1943 an addition was added to the original white house to accommodate the larger numbers of students. A stone building was constructed and opened in 1956/57, with additional wings added in 1963 and 1969.
Scope and content
This fonds includes material related to the pre-history of the college, and in particular the activities of the Newman Society, which was formed by a group of Catholic laymen, with its major work to be the establishment of a Catholic college at the University of Saskatchewan. Other records are: minutes, reports and correspondence of the Principals/Presidents, the Corporation, the Faculty/Administration Forum, and the student organizations: Newman Club/Centre and St. Thomas More Students Association. Some of the records, including photocopies of relevant documents from other archives, were acquired by then college archivist Fr. Alphonse de Valk during the late 1960s and early 1970s. In cases where de Valk is clearly the compiler, it has been so noted in the file list. Photographs consist of views of the white house (original and expanded), the construction of the stone building in its three phases (1953-1969), interiors, student activities and special events in the college over the years. In most cases the creators of the photographs are unknown.
Immediate source of acquisition
The original order of each series has been retained where possible.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some series is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File lists are available.
Further accruals expected in some series.