Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Sprigs O’ Heather girls pipe band was conceived of in Moose Jaw in 1953 by Sheila Scott, Alice Matheison, and instructor Robert Shepherd. The first practice was held in the old City Hall building that Fall. The practice location was changed to the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Shepherd. A drum section was added in 1955 as membership continued to increase. Drumming instruction was provided by Gordon Meldrum, and a practice location for drumming was provided at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Meldrum. The group officially formed in 1956.
The Moose Jaw Girl’s Pipe Band Society was formed in 1956 and had been the governing and financing body for the Sprigs O’ Heather since March 20, 1976.
Sprigs O’ Heather performed across Canada, and also travelled to Scotland to perform. The group celebrated its 25th anniversary in 1981 Sprigs O’ Heather eventually dissolved in the late 1980s, and the Heather Highlanders pipe band was formed from some of its members. This group lasted only a few years, but its executive member contributed money to the creation of a Moose Jaw mural commemorating girls pipe bands in Moose Jaw.