Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1895-1905, 1911-2004 (Creation)
Physical description area
2 photo albums
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association was first organized in Toronto in 1876 as a fraternal association for Canadians who were native-born Scots. It aimed to provide mutual benefits and family protection for its members, and to preserve and promote Scottish heritage.
Camp Balmoral No. 177 of the Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association was formed on February 11, 1896 at Forrester's Hall in Regina, North-West Territories. Twenty-three men became charter members, many of whom were prominent politicians and businessmen in Regina. The Camp followed the constitution and rituals set out by the Sons of Scotland Grand Camp, and participated in the Association's insurance program.
Notable members in the early years of Camp Balmoral No. 177 include Premiers of Saskatchewan T. Walter Scott and William Melville Martin, and Mayors of Regina James Grassick, Peter McAra and James Balfour. As well, Thomas Clement Douglas was a member of Camp Balmoral No.177 during his years in Regina.
A change in membership requirements allowed those who claimed Scottish descent through heritage or through a spouse's Scottish descent to join. Women were first allowed into Camp Balmoral in 1954. The Camp's first female Chief was Elizabeth "Bessie" MacMillan in 1962.
In its commitment to benevolence, Camp Balmoral No. 177 has offered bursaries to its members or their relatives enrolled in post-secondary educational programs.
Through its history, Camp Balmoral No. 177 has organized or been involved in many activities that preserve and promote Scottish heritage in Regina. Annual events organized by the Camp include the Robbie Burns Banquet celebrating Burns' contributions to Scottish heritage, and the Kirkin O' the Tartan worship service paying tribute to early Scots' efforts to preserve the tartan. More recently, it has sponsored an annual dance competition of the Regina Highland Dancing Association. Camp Balmoral No. 177 has also participated, as part of the Scottish Society of Regina, in organizing the Scottish pavilion at Mosaic. Annual events for Camp members have included picnics, ceilidhs, barbeques and Christmas parties. Special celebrations took place in 1946 for Camp's 50th Anniversary and in 1996 for its 100th Anniversary.
Camp Balmoral No. 177 is (2005) the only remaining Camp of the Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association existing in Saskatchewan. It continues to hold meetings on the third Friday of each month at the Oddfellow's Hall in Regina.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by Camp Balmoral No. 177 of the Sons of Scotland Benevolent Association in its operations which began in 1896.
The types of records included are minutes, ledgers, the Camp's charter, correspondence, financial records, constitutions and by-laws, ritual books, membership lists, newsletters, music books, programmes, photographs and sound recordings.
This fonds has been arranged into three series: Operational Records series, Correspondence and Newsletters series, Entertainment and Celebrations series. No series descriptions are available.