Collection MJ-174 - Robinson-MacBean Ltd. collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Robinson-MacBean Ltd. collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: T. W. Robinson Company
  • Variations in title: MacBean Ltd.

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1919 (Creation)
    Robinson-MacBean Ltd
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

.6cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The T. W. Robinson Company was established in 1883 by Titus W. Robinson. The business was a department store located at 28-30 Main Street (116 Main St. North), Moose Jaw. In 1912, the store’s name changed to Robinson-MacBean Ltd. W. F. MacBean was the company’s secretary and treasurer. He later became the managing director of the store after T. W. Robinson’s death on October 2, 1913 in Toronto. The original store was two storeys with a basement. From 1912-1914, a new building was constructed for the department store. Three storeys were added to the existing building. When that was completed, the two lower levels were removed and built again to correspond with the three upper floors. No disruption to service occurred during the construction of the new building. The new structure had five storeys and a basement – it was at one time the tallest building on Main Street. The store had various departments, including: dry goods, men’s wear, ladies’ wear, shoes, house furnishings, and china and glassware.
The Robinson-MacBean department store made news in 1923 when four night constables were arrested for breaking and entering and theft. The constables had in their possession ‘Niagara Maid silk bloomers’ that were only sold at Robinson-MacBean’s store. In 1928, the store was renamed to MacBean’s Ltd and remained at 116 Main St. North until 1931. The building was vacant for a few years before the Army and Navy Department Store moved into the building.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains one Robinson-MacBean Ltd. catalogue and one order form.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This material was donated to the archive by Katy (Earl) Duzan in 1998.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.

Location note

Box V-225


This collection was re-boxed and refoldered in 2013.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres