Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Moving images
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Regina Lyric Musical Theatre Inc., 1977-
- Regina Little Theatre Society, Inc., 1926-
Physical description area
98 photographs : prints, b&w
129 photographs : prints, col.
2 photographs : negatives, b&w
28 computer optical discs (ca. 11865 MB) : .bup; .ifo; .vob; .mp4; .jpg; .wav
1 videocassette: VHS (2h 23m 22s)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
An organizational meeting, struck by Patricia Knox, was held on October 12, 1977. The aim of this meeting was to gather individuals together who were interested in re-establishing a musical theatre society in Regina, Saskatchewan. Those present at the meeting were Patricia Knox, Keith Knox, Art Gardiner, Ann Hewat, Georgina Young and Christine Tiller. A general meeting was held on November 6, 1977, wherein the Regina Lyric Light Opera Society was established. The Society was incorporated under The Companies Act on December 12, 1977. The mandate of the Society was to promote the interests of light opera and musical comedy with special emphasis on Saskatchewan talent. The Society was modeled after the St. Matthew's Operatic Society, The Regina Amateur Operatic Society, and the Light Lyric Opera Society which were in existence between 1922 and 1951.
The first executive of the Society was comprised of Patricia Knox - president; Christine Tiller - vice-president; Greta Charlebois - secretary; Hal Tate - treasurer; and Jean Freeman, John Huston and Walter Kalyn - members-at-large. A constitution was approved by the executive in November 1977. Annual membership to the Society was set at four dollars per month.
The Society presented a variety night as its first event on February 6, 1978, at the Royal Canadian Legion auditorium. Its first major production was H.M.S. Pinafore which was performed at Darke Hall in May 1978. Subsequently, the Society presented at least one major production each year, along with smaller revue-style shows and musical brunches at various venues in Regina.
The name of the Regina Lyric Light Opera Society was changed to Regina Lyric Musical Theatre Inc. in the Corporate Registry, Saskatchewan Justice on September 4, 2009. Currently (2018), Regina Lyric Musical Theatre continues as non-profit, amateur musical theatre company. Its performance season is usually comprised of a fall show by The Lyric Singers, an affiliated adult show choir, a fundraising brunch in February, and a spring musical production. It receives funding through its membership fees, as well as private, government and corporate donations.
Name of creator
A provisional meeting of the Regina Little Theatre Society was held at the office of Read, Smith & Co. in Regina, Saskatchewan, on May 21, 1926. Those present were Capt. G.R. Chetwynd, H.E. Jones, A. Hall, A.J. Haggert, G. Meldrum and W.T. Read, who acted as chair. The purpose of the meeting was to decide if the formation of a new dramatic society was in the interests of the city and was feasible. A provisional executive was formed of those present along with E.A. Matthews.
The first general meeting of the Society was held at the Kitchener Hotel on June 7, 1926. At this meeting, an executive was formed comprised of Col. F.B. Ware - president, H.E. Jones - vice-president, W.T. Read - secretary, F.H.H. Smith - treasurer, and Mrs. Middleton, Mrs. Gilbert, Mr. Matthews, Mr. Middlemas and Mr. Haggert as additional members. It was determined that the objective of the Society was the development of the spoken drama; training and instruction of amateurs in the art of drama and in its technical branches; and the production of plays. Membership to the Society was set at two dollars per person.
The inaugural performance of the Regina Little Theatre (RLT) occurred on November 29, 1926, at the Regina College Auditorium. This performance was open to members only and featured two one-act plays. The first performance of a play open to the general public took place at the Grand Theatre in February 1927. In 1928, the newly-built Darke Hall became the site of performances for the Society. Darke Hall remained as the venue for numerous RLT productions until the 1988-1989 performance season.
Along with its local performances, the RLT also participated in the provincial Dominion Drama Festival in 1933 and annually thereafter until the Festival's end ca. 1971. The RLT won numerous awards for acting, directing and production at these festivals.
In 1956, the Society established the Regina Little Theatre Building Company Ltd. to provide facilities required for the accommodation of its activities. This company was incorporated under The Companies Act on March 5, 1956. Through the company, the Society acquired a building on South Railway Avenue for the purposes of rehearsals and storage. In 1988, the Society became a tenant of Theatre Regina Inc., the body that operates the Regina Performing Arts Centre. The Regina Little Theatre Building Company Ltd. was amalgamated with the Regina Little Theatre Society, Inc. on June 30, 1998.
The Regina Little Theatre Society, Inc. continues (2011) as a non-profit community theatre company. It produces five full-length main stage plays and two sets of one-act plays per year. It participates annually in Theatre Saskatchewan Inc.'s annual drama festival. It also holds drama workshops, play writing contests, and fundraising events, and provides scholarship opportunities for members who are studying performing arts. It receives funding through local government and corporate sponsorship and is affiliated with Theatre Saskatchewan Inc. and Theatre Regina Inc.
Ann Hewat, executive member of the Regina Lyric Light Opera Society, donated some of these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in one accession in 1980: R80-449 (July 3, 1980).
Harold (Ted) Sheard, executive member of the Regina Lyric Light Opera Society, donated some of these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in three accessions between 1986 and 1995: R86-474 (September 22, 1986); R88-405 (December 13, 1988); and R95-218 (June 20, 1995).
William Moore donated some of these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in one accession in 1994: R94-214 (July 7, 1994).
John Moore donated some of these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in one accession in 2004: R2004-009 (January 14, 2004).
Laurie Fisher, board member for Regina Lyric Musical Theatre, donated some of these records to the Regina office, Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan in one accession in 2018: 2018-116 (October 30, 2018).
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by the Regina Lyric Musical Theatre (formerly known as Regina Lyric Light Opera Society) in its operations from 1977 to 2018 as a non-profit community musical theatre company in Regina, Saskatchewan. It includes records relating to productions of the organization, and administrative records of its executive.
The fonds also consists of records created, accumulated and used by the Regina Little Theatre Society from 1929 to 1977 in its operations as a non-profit community theatre company in Regina, Saskatchewan. Also included are records of the St. Matthew's Operatic Society, the Regina Amateur Operatic Society, and the Lyric Light Opera Society, forerunners to the Regina Lyric Light Opera Society. A small volume of records pertain to other theatrical organizations in Saskatchewan.
The types of records included are minutes; clippings; newsletters; programmes; membership lists; publications; constitutions and by-laws; scripts; financial records; correspondence; scrapbooks; posters; photographs; and optical discs and a videocassette containing video audio recordings of performances.
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.