Fonds - Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1963-1968 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

8.3 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing was founded by Sister Cécilia Wagner in 1907, and four students graduated two years later. For many years, nursing education was taught as a three-year program of study, wherein theory was followed by lengthy practical experience, and students provided much of the nursing care on the wards. In 1939, the first Basic Science Instructor was hired for the School, and a Clinical Instructor and Educational Director were added in 1945 and 1949 respectively. The Medical Staff and Nursing Faculty Joint Committee was initiated in 1955, and the Advisory Committee to the School was organised in 1956. In 1962, an experimental education program was initiated by Sister T. Castonguay, Director of the School of Nursing, and accepted by the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association and Department of Public Health. For the first time in Saskatchewan, a shortened, two-year program was introduced. In 1966, the Nursing Education Act transferred the education of diploma nurses from the jurisdiction of the Department of Health to the Department of Education, leading to the establishment of central nursing education programs in Regina and Saskatoon, and the phasing out of hospital-based schools of nursing in the province. The last graduates of the School of Nursing completed their training on 31 August 1973 and the School of Nursing was closed.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of five issues of "Memorare", yearbook of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level list available; a more detailed history is available in the Archives

Associated materials

Related material: Other records relating to the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing and the experiences of nursing students may be found in the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital fonds, and the private fonds of nursing alumna Barbara Sutherland Humphreys

Associated material: Student records for the Regina Grey Nuns' School of Nursing are located at the offices of the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association, Regina. Other records of the Grey Nuns' Hospital may be found in the Archives des Soeurs Grises, St. Boniface, Manitoba.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Boxes 258-259

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres