Fonds - Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital fonds

General material designation

  • Multiple media

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1972 (Creation)
    Place
    Regina (Saskatchewan)

Physical description area

Physical description

ca. 2.2 m. of textual records
54 sound reels
50 photographs : b&w ; 25.6 x 23.7 cm or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1907-1973)

Administrative history

The Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital was founded in 1907 by the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) of St. Boniface, Manitoba. Reverend Sister Mary Duffin, foundress of the new mission in Regina, purchased the Park Sanatorium at 1400 Angus Street, previously owned and operated by Doctors D.S. Johnstone and J.A. Cullum. The School of Nursing was also opened during the inaugural year, with four students graduating in 1909. From 1910 to 1912, the Sisters constructed a new 50-bed hospital on two Dewdney Road lots provided by the City of Regina. The first Nurses' Home was built in 1915. Over the years many additions were made to the buildings, which grew to house the Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic and the Provincial Laboratories. In 1959 the first Medical Director was hired. By the Diamond Anniversary of the Hospital in 1967, bed capacity was at 520 and employees numbered 1076 (including student nurses).By the late 1960's, with the building in need of extensive renovations, the Sisters sought to withdraw from the ownership and management of the hospital. Mr. E. F. Bourassa, first lay Administrator of the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital, proposed that it should become part of the South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre. The Sisters officially transferred ownership to the Saskatchewan Government on 31 August 1972, and the SSHC Board of Governors assumed control. The Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital was officially renamed Pasqua Hospital on 1 September 1973.

The following have served as Administrator: Eugene F. Bourassa (1967- 1970), Sister F. Dussault (Acting Administrator, 1971-1972).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of minutes of the Medical Advisory Board, Executive Committee, Medical Staff, Lay Advisory Board, Staff, and hospital committees; building specifications for the Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic; provincial salary and wage surveys; correspondence regarding land exchange between the hospital and the City of Regina; portraits of physicians who served at the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital; financial records; and audio reels on the subject of paediatrics used for continuing medical education. Agencies and businesses that appear in the records include the Saskatchewan Department of Public Health, Division of Laboratories; Saskatchewan Cancer Clinic and the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission; Department of Labour; the TB League; W.G. Van Edmond and Stan E. Storey, Architects; and the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

A small quantity of records, which contains personal information regarding patients, is restricted according to provincial legislation and Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region policy.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Copyright restrictions apply to photographs.

Finding aids

Box list available. Item level descriptions of photographs are available on the Photograph Database

Associated materials

Related material: Other records relating to the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital may be found in the Pasqua Hospital fonds, the Regina Grey Nuns' Hospital School of Nursing fonds, the South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre fonds, and the Regina Health District fonds.

Associated material: Other records of the Grey Nuns' Hospital may be found in the Archives des Soeurs Grises, St. Boniface, Manitoba

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected

Alpha-numeric designations

Accessions 1999.6, 1999.10, and 1999.73

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres