Title and statement of responsibility area
Regina General Hospital fonds
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Multiple media
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1910-1998, predominant 1947-1996 (Vervaardig)
- Regina (Sask.)
ca. 52.0 m of textual records and other materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
Hospital services in Regina began in 1896 when the Land Titles Building at the corner of Hamilton Street and 13th Avenue was rented, furnished and equipped as the new six-bed hospital. The Victoria Order of Nurses provided nursing services to the Cottage Hospital, as it was called, under an appointed Board of Directors. In 1899, a new building was erected on Hamilton Street south of 14th Avenue, funded by public subscription and a contribution from the VON. The new 25-bed facility, named Victoria Hospital, was ready for service in 1900 and officially opened in September 1901. A Training School for Nurses was launched in this hospital in 1902, as the VON had ceased to provide nursing services. In 1907 the City of Regina Health and Relief Department assumed control of the hospital which was renamed the Regina General Hospital. A new 100-bed facility was completed in 1911 at the present site on 14th Avenue. The buildings underwent many additions and renovations over the years and by 1950 bed capacity had reached 807. Construction continued during the 1950s and 1960s, and an extensive Regeneration Program was carried out during the 1980s and 1990s. In 1974, Regina General Hospital was taken over by the Province of Saskatchewan, and the consolidation of health services followed. Reorganisation of Saskatchewan health services commenced in 1992, resulting in the establishment of the Regina District Health Board (14 February 1992) and the Regina Health District (May 1993). Regina General Hospital became one of several facilities integrated in the new district health services plan under the management of one administration and one Board. In 2002 the District amalgamated with two others to form the Regina Qu'Appelle Regional Health Authority. As one of two tertiary care institutions, the Regina General Hospital continues to hold a key role in the Region's integrated health care system. The following individuals have served as Superintendent or Executive Director of Regina General Hospital: Charles Barton (1948-1965), Dr. Ernest Appleyard (1953-1958), Dr. A. Pickles (1965-1967), H. M. J. Westcott (1967-1968), E. C. (Edward) Emery (1968-1975), Dr. D. W. Carnduff (1975- 1976), and Royce H. Gill (1976-1993).
Bereik en inhoud
Scope and Content: Fonds consists of correspondence; minutes of the Board of Governors, committees and the Employee Advisory Council; constitutions and bylaws; studies, reports and position papers; contracts and agreements; policies, procedures, goals and objectives; financial records, statistics; records of construction and renovations; personnel and labour relations records; records of hospital accreditation; legal records; surveys and questionnaires; reference materials including historical information, pamphlets, posters, display panels, scrapbooks newspaper clippings, and ephemera; Occupational Health and Safety slides, audio-tapes and reels; conference files; subject files; annual reports; manuals; certificates; artefacts, and plaques; newsletters; news releases; and telephone directories. Fonds also documents the relationship between the Regina General Hospital and the following external agencies, associations and committees: Department of Health and Welfare (Canada); Department of Veteran's Affairs; Department of Health (Saskatchewan); Department of Public Health (Saskatchewan); Department of Labour (Saskatchewan); Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons; College of Physicians and Surgeons (Saskatchewan); College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan; Association of Canadian Teaching Hospitals; Canadian Medical Association; Saskatchewan Medical Association; American Hospital Association; Canadian Hospital Association; Saskatchewan Healthcare Association; Canadian College of Health Services Executives; Saskatchewan Association of Health Service Executives; Canadian Council on Health Facilities Accreditation; Canadian Council on Hospital Accreditation; Regina Hospitals Executive Planning Committee; Regina Area Hospitals Planning Council; Regina Hospitals Administrative Committee; Joint Hospital Committee; Hospitals of Regina Campaign; Canadian Union of Public Employees; Saskatchewan Union of Nurses; Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association; City of Regina; South Saskatchewan Hospital Centre; Plains Health Centre; Royal University Hospital (Saskatoon); Saskatoon City Hospital; Human Rights Commission; and Central Laundry Board.
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
A small quantity of records, which contains personal information regarding patients, is restricted according to provincial legislation and Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region policy.
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Box content list is available. A more detailed description is available in the Archives
Related material: Other records relating to the Regina General Hospital may be found in the Regina Health District fonds, The Regina General Hospital School of Nursing fonds, and the Regina General Hospital Photograph collection.
No further accruals are expected
Fonds includes ca. 2482 slides : col. ; 5.0 x 5.0 cm. -- 3 sound reels ; -- 8 artefacts -- 1 audio-tape (cassette). Fonds also includes an unspecified number of architectural plans and drawings.
Accessions 1999.1, 1999.2, 1999.3, 1999.4, 1999.5, 1999.11, 1999.12, 1999.19, 1999.21, 1999.23, 1999.27, 1999.28, 1999.31, 1999.32, 1999.33, 1999.34, 1999.36, 1999.38, 1999.39, 1999.40, 1999.42, 1999.43, 1999.44, 1999.47, 1999.55, 1999.56, 1999.60, 1999.6