Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
3 photographs: prints, b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Scope and content
Records created, accumulated and used by Mabel McTaggart, daughter of John McTaggart, the first mayor of Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Her married name was Mabel Fox.
1) Publication entitled The Nursery "Alice", containing twenty coloured enlargements from Tenniel's illustrations to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, with text adapted to nursery readers by Lewis Carroll. Published by Macmillan and Co., New York, 1890. "Mabel McTaggart, Estevan, December 25th 1890 Christmas" is written on the inside cover.
2) Publication entitled Romping Days: Fun for the Little Ones, published by Lothrop Publishing Company, Boston, 1897. "Mabel O. McTaggart, From her papa. Dec 25th 1897, Estevan, N.W.T." written on the inside cover.
3) Original handwritten letters dating from 1898 to 1901 written to Miss Mabel McTaggart by Sergeant W. Mitchell of the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP) from various locations (Cardston, Maple Creek, North Portal, and Regina) in the North-West Territories (now Saskatchewan and Alberta). A letter dated June 18, 1899 written to Sergeant Mitchell from his son, Jack Mitchell, in Montreal, is included.
4) Embroidered booklet with inscription reading To My Dear Papa.
5) Velvet covered Christmas card with red rose on front.
6) Three undated black and white photographs of Mabel McTaggart.
7) Moss Rose practice book belonging to Mabel McTaggart with handwritten geography, history and math lessons, 1899.
8) Jubilee section of The Weyburn Review, June 29, 1988 which includes article on John McTaggart, who served as mayor of Weyburn from 1911 to 1914.
9) Article by Fred Harmsworth entitled Old NWMP outpost building to become Estevan museum, regarding the Woodend outpost. Includes references to Staff Sergeant Mitchell. Source likely The Leader-Post, Regina. [ca. 1973].
10) Newspaper clipping regarding the City of Weyburn's 50th anniversary in 1963 which includes photograph and information on John McTaggart, the first mayor.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Records are contained in two file folders.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Officers
Weyburn - Mayors
Weyburn - History