Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
- Museum Committee of the City of Moose Jaw
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
“On August 8th, 1949, Alderman W.G. Davies gave notice of motion that he, at the next regular meeting of the City Council on August 15th, 1949, would move that a committee of three members of council be appointed to investigate, with the assistance of interested organizations, the possibility, desirability and feasibility of establishing a museum for Indian relics and historical mementoes in the City of Moose Jaw and also to report on the possibility of marking historical landmarks in the Moose Jaw district.”
The first committee of Council consisted of Aldermen W.G. Davies, L.H. Lewry and J.R. English. By February 1950 the committee was expanded to ten interested individuals. The first officers of the expanded committee were Thomas Warner - Chair, Mrs. Thomas M. Sutherland - Vice Chair and Dr. Fred B. Cooper - Secretary.
A grant of $1000 was promised by the provincial government. The museum was located in space allotted by the school board in the north-west corner of the basement of the annex of Alexandra School. There was also a promise of showcases and artifacts from the Provincial Museum in Regina which continued to provide advisory support for many years. The official opening was arranged for August 23, 1950.
Through the late 1950's and early 1960's the museum was under constant threat because the school board wanted to use the space. The Museum Committee finally relinquished the space ca. 1965 and explored various spaces including the 4th floor of City Hall. Later that year, discussions began on a Museum/Art Building.
Bereik en inhoud
One correspondence file also contains interspersed copies of donor forms for artifacts donated to the museum.
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal