Fonds MJ-031 - Moosejaw News fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moosejaw News fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-031

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1883-1963 (Creation)
    Creation
    Moosejaw News
    Place
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

4.00 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1883-1885)

Administrative history

C.F. Ewer came to the new town of Moose Jaw in the spring of 1883 with the intent of starting a newspaper. The North-West Land Company provided a free corner lot as an incentive to the first paper established. The printing press arrived two days before the first edition was scheduled to run. The first edition of the Moosejaw News was published May 4, 1883.

Dr. J.E. Wells LL.D. had arrived in Moose Jaw from Toronto? shortly after Ewer, also with the intent of starting a newspaper. Ewer did not seem to have enough capital to continue while his new paper established itself. Rather than attempting to compete with limited resources, Ewer sold the paper and press.

The next edition of the paper had an editorial stating that Wells, “late of Rapid City”, was taking over the paper along with a Mr. Powell who were listed as editors and proprietors.
In October 1884, H.N. Morphy took over the paper but by February 1885, the Moosejaw News was bankrupt.

There was no local newspaper until the Moose Jaw Times began publishing in April 1889.
Another newspaper was published under the banner The Moose Jaw News ca. 1922-1923, possibly through Quality Press, located at High St. East. It does not seem to have any relationship to the original Moosejaw News.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Several original copies of the newspaper have been transferred to the Moose Jaw Public Library newspaper holdings. The balance consists of some copies, reprints and loose items that accompanied the papers.

Notes area

Physical condition

The original newspapers have extensive damage due to degradation of newsprint and numerous tears, particularly along folds. These have been transferred to the library newspaper collection. Item 003 is in poor shape with numerous tears and missing sections.

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession number 31.BA donated to the archives by the Moose Jaw Art Museum. Item 004 donated by Moose Jaw Times-Herald in 1969.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004. Item 003 encapsulated.

Location note

Box V-22, H-32

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres