Fonds MJ-128 - Moose Jaw Lion’s Junior Band fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moose Jaw Lion’s Junior Band fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Sound recording

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-128

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1950-1976 (Creation)
    Creation
    Moose Jaw Lion's Junior Band
    Place
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

32.1 cm of textual records and 1 audio disc (2 min.) : vinyl.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1950-present)

Administrative history

The first meeting to discuss the creation of a junior band in Moose Jaw was held on October 6, 1950. H.E. Hemming presented the history of previous bands in Moose Jaw. At this meeting they decided the band would be made up of 40 members ages 10-14 and membership would cost $1.00 per member a year. They expected the instruments would cost $4000. An advertisement was placed in the Moose Jaw Time Herald for membership applications. A 5 member committee was set up to evaluate the 130 applications for 40 available positions. There were two instructors for the band: Mr. Tom Toddington and Mr. A. Burrell at a salary of $30 per month.
In 1958 Frank Connell became the band director. The band toured internationally in 1964 and in 1970 with Connell. They won a gold medal at the Kerkrade Netherlands International Band Festival in 1970.
The Lions Club became associated with the band in 1961, but the name “Lions” was not put into the Band Association name until 1972. As the band grew in size, it was split into ‘A’, ‘B’ and ‘C’ and ‘D’ level groups. ‘A’ band is the senior concert band, ‘B’ band is the intermediate band, ‘C’ band is the junior band, and ‘D’ band is the beginner band.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains three series: Membership, Meeting Minutes, and Memorabilia. It includes membership rosters, meeting minutes, a vinyl record and two scrapbooks. The scrapbooks contain programs and newspaper clippings about the band from 1960-1971.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This material was donated by the Moose Jaw Lions Junior Band via Donna Stark in 2003.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available.

Associated materials

There are many photographs of the band in Moose Jaw Public Library Archives’ photograph collection: Reference numbers 2012-470 – 2012-509.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Location note

Box V-171-V-174 and H-88

Conservation

This fonds was re-boxed and refoldered in 2012.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres