Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Moose Jaw Agricultural Society petitioned Moose Jaw town council in 1900 to appoint a committee to meet with them to discuss building a hospital. The Council appointed Mayor R. Bogue and councillors A. Hitchcock, J.T. Simpson and John Bellamy who met with E.N. Hopkins, William Watson, F.W. Green and S.K. Rathwell from the Agricultural Society. This joint committee became the Provisional Hospital Committee, with power to add to its members. Through several meetings and discussions a plan to build a hospital was prepared. The committee requested assistance and representatives from the organizations in town and district.
At the request of the Daughters of the Empire, Mayor Unwin called a public meeting on April 4, 1902. It was voted upon that the hospital board prepare definite information on the building of the hospital and hold a public meeting. At this time Mayor Unwin and Thomas Miller were added to the provisional committee. A public meeting was held on April 21, 1902. On Feb. 3, 1903 it was passed that the name of the company be "The Moose Jaw General Hospital Company". The board as a body would apply for incorporation by special act of the North West Legislature. On July 18, 1904 the cornerstone was laid for the General Hospital. The Hospital officially opened On April 17, 1906 with a capacity of 28 beds.
The first Board of Directors of the hospital were E.N. Hopkins, president; W.C. Sanders, secretary; John Grayson, Dr. Turnbull and John Wellington.
Initial medical staff were Dr. Turnbull, Dr. McCulloch, Dr. Radcliffe, Dr. Leask, Dr. Wheeler and Dr. Wardell. Kathleen Evelyn Smith was appointed Matron. Attending staff consisted of Helen Nismith Lattimer, Jessie Gibson, Roberta Targette, Beatrice McCosh, Florence Ashworth, Agnes Hay, Winnifred Edwards, Alice Armstrong, Susan Verronan and Elizabeth Hay.
In 1953 the city of Moose Jaw and surrounding municipalities formed a body known as the Moose Jaw Union Hospital Board of Directors, and changed the name from General Hospital to Union Hospital.
In 1970 the Saskatchewan government closed the small nursing schools, including the Moose Jaw Union Hospital.