Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Moose Jaw Flying Club
- Moose Jaw
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Moose Jaw Flying Club was founded and incorporated in 1928 by Howard Ingram, A. W. Macpherson and Richard W. (Dick) Ryan. The first president of the organization was T. J. Emerson K.C. The Government of Canada gave the club two D. H. Moth planes in 1928 as well as a grant of one hundred dollars per qualified student, who was physically fit and of British descent. In 1929, Ingram was appointed Inspector of Civil Aviation and Ryan Club Instructor. From 1928 to 1930, seven commercial pilots and eleven private pilots graduated from the course provided by the club. In 1930, George M. Ross was president and Walter F. Thorn was Chair of the Board of Directors. They operated from the Municipal Aerodrome (also known as the Rosedale Airport) on the corner of 12th Ave NW and Montgomery St. In 1930, the club sponsored a large flying meet with participants competing in a variety of speed and skill events, as well as a number of demonstrations. In 1935, the directors of the flying club formed Prairie Airways which operated a flying service operating Beech 18D aircraft and manufactured twin engine Cessnas during World War II. Prairie Airways was later bought by Canadian Pacific.
The Moose Jaw Flying Club has taken many shapes over the years, closing and reopening many times. Currently, the non-profit clubs works out of the Moose Jaw Municipal Airport. They operate a Cessna 150 aircraft available for flying members. Club meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Accession 52.BA was donated to the archives by Ray Crone.
The second accrual was donated to the Moose Jaw Public Library Archives Department by Moose Jaw City Hall in 1974 via Dr. A. F. Muirhead, Chairman, Moose Jaw Public Library Board.