Fonds MJ-52 - Moose Jaw Flying Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moose Jaw Flying Club fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1928-1947 (Creation)
    Moose Jaw Flying Club
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

3.2 cm of textual records.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Moose Jaw Flying Club was founded and incorporated in 1928 by Howard Ingram, A. W. Macpherson and Richard W. (Dick) Ryan. The first president of the organization was T. J. Emerson K.C. The Government of Canada gave the club two D. H. Moth planes in 1928 as well as a grant of one hundred dollars per qualified student, who was physically fit and of British descent. In 1929, Ingram was appointed Inspector of Civil Aviation and Ryan Club Instructor. From 1928 to 1930, seven commercial pilots and eleven private pilots graduated from the course provided by the club. In 1930, George M. Ross was president and Walter F. Thorn was Chair of the Board of Directors. They operated from the Municipal Aerodrome (also known as the Rosedale Airport) on the corner of 12th Ave NW and Montgomery St. In 1930, the club sponsored a large flying meet with participants competing in a variety of speed and skill events, as well as a number of demonstrations. In 1935, the directors of the flying club formed Prairie Airways which operated a flying service operating Beech 18D aircraft and manufactured twin engine Cessnas during World War II. Prairie Airways was later bought by Canadian Pacific.

The Moose Jaw Flying Club has taken many shapes over the years, closing and reopening many times. Currently, the non-profit clubs works out of the Moose Jaw Municipal Airport. They operate a Cessna 150 aircraft available for flying members. Club meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of three series: Moose Jaw Air Show, Memorabilia and Correspondence. It includes air show souvenir programmes, air regulation examinations, newspaper clippings, and correspondence to and from the club as well as records relating to the July 5, 1930 air show.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The first accession, accession number 52.BA, was donated to the archives by Ray Crone.
The second accession was donated to the Moose Jaw Public Library Archives Department by Moose Jaw City Hall in 1974 via Dr. A. F. Muirhead, Chairman, Moose Jaw Public Library Board.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.


This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004 and 2012.

Location note

Box V 49, V-191 and OS-26.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres