Fonds MJ-106 - Moose Jaw Aquatic Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moose Jaw Aquatic Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1939-1951 (Creation)
    Moose Jaw Aquatic Club
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm. of textual records and 2 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

By 1907 the Moose Jaw River had become a heavily used recreational centre. The Moose Jaw aquatic Club was formed as a non-profit organization with the prime interest to foster aquatic sports and a place where the young people of the city could meet in wholesome and worthwhile athletic and social activities.
In 1912 the Club hired local architect Sholto Smith to design a club house on the riverbank. The official opening was held on August 7, 1913. During the 1920's and 1930's the Club thrived, hosting swimming and boating events, regattas, and dances. It became affiliated with the Canadian Amateur Swimming Association. In 1934, Phyllis Dewar, a Club member won 4 gold medals in swimming at the British Commonwealth Games.
In 1948 the club house sustained damage due to vandalism and flooding. In the late 1950's the building was moved south from the river up the bank to it’s present location of 276 Home Street East and was altered. It is now the home of the South Saskatchewan Wildlife Club, known as the Sportsman’s Centre.
It is unclear what happened to the members of the Aquatic Club. There is no documentation in the Library Archives as to when the Club ceased.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds consists of material primarily from the 1940's. Included are the Memorandum of Association, insurance policy of the mid 1940's and blueprints of the Club drawn up in 1949. There are lists of shareholders and members, financial statements and correspondence. There are 2 black and white undated photographs and photocopies of photographs. Also there are swim meet schedules, programs, and results, as well as blank membership application forms, membership cards, newspaper clippings and a sheet of letterhead. There are minutes of meetings of the Canadian Amateur Swimming Association in 1949 and minutes of the Saskatchewan Section of the Canadian Amateur Swimming Association in 1949. National results and records are also included for 1947.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated to the Archives by Mrs. Rhoda Freiden.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids and file list available.

Associated materials

Related materials


No further accruals expected.

General note

7 felt fabric crests “MJAC Aquatic Club” located in Artifact Box 1.


This fonds was re-boxed and foldered in 2005.

Location note

Box V 110, and Artifact Box 1

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres