Title and statement of responsibility area
Lampman Rural Telephone Company fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
52 cm of textual records
52 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Lampman Rural Telephone Company (R.T.C.) was incorporated in 1911 to provide telephone service in the Lampman area. It was served by the Lampman Local Exchange Board beginning in 1914, along with four other small rural telephone companies: Lampman North, Landau, Wilberforce-Lampman and Grimes (later Cullen), all with representation on the Exchange board. In 1934 Cullen, Lampman North, Landau and Wilberforce-Lampman rural telephone companies amalgamated with Lampman R.T.C. In the following years other small telephone companies were absorbed by Lampman, including Steelman (1946), Lampman Urban (1947?) and Browning (1948?). In 1964, Saskatchewan Government Telephones (SaskTel), acquired control of the town system in Lampman. SaskTel put up a new building, and installed an automatic exchange that included a new dial system. On January 13, 1977, SaskTel, as part of an effort to centralize all telephone operations in the province, assumed complete control of rural lines handled by the Lampman Rural Telephone Co. The Lampman Rural Telephone Co. held its last board meeting on March 3, 1977.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records documenting the activities of the Lampman Rural Telephone Company and other telephone companies that amalgamated with Lampman RTC. Included in the fonds are ledgers, financial statements, stock certificates, meeting (annual, directors' and board) minutes, receipt books, a small centennial newspaper, and maps relating to the provision of telephone service in and around Lampman, SK .Also included are documents relating to the transfer of responsibility from the Lampman R.T.C. to Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel). The records cover the years of operation 1914-1977. The photograph is of the Lampman R.T.C. building.
Immediate source of acquisition
Archival arrangement of the records was based on an existing subject-based order. Lower level arrangement was imposed on the financial records and based on chronological order.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are open for research.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction are subject to the Crown copyright.
Consult SAFA 43 for a fonds description, a file listing of textual records, a map listing and a description of the photograph.
Related material: Consult finding aid GR 352 Department of Telephones (R-899) for a listing of records relating to the establishment, operation, amalgamation and dissolution of other rural telephone companies operating in the Lampman area. See files # 753 (Lampman); #754 (Lampman North); #755 (Lampman Urban); #178 (Browning); #286 (Cullen); #585 (Grimes); #758 (Landau -Landon); #1319 (Steelman) and #1504 (Wilberforce-Lampman).
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Lampman Rural Telephone Company 1911-1977 (Creation)