Fonds MJ-049 - Knox United Church (Grayburn) fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Knox United Church (Grayburn) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Knox Presbyterian Church
  • Variations in title: Caron Prairie Appointment

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-049

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1903-1980 (Creation)
    Creation
    Knox United Church (Grayburn)

Physical description area

Physical description

12.0 cm. of textual records.
11 photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1899-1970)

Administrative history

Knox United Church (formerly Knox Presbyterian Church) began with the organization of the Caron Prairie appointment in 1899. Rev. J.M. Wallace of the Summerside congregation held services in the Caron Prairie School. Summerside, Caron and Caron Prairie formed one pastoral charge with the manse located at Summerside.
In 1902, a Ladies Aid Society was formed and a Sunday School and Christian Endeavor were organized the following year.
In 1905, a meeting was held and it was decided to build a church. In July 1906, a cornerstone was laid on the farm of Dan Ferguson at SW1/4 26-18-29 W2. The building was completed and services began but it was felt that the concrete block building material was unsatisfactory. The upper portion of the church was torn down. A new wooden church was built on the foundation and opened in 1909.
After the service on February 15, 1970, a meeting was held at which there was a unanimous decision to close the church as of June 30, 1970. The last official service was held June 28, 1970. Following the removal of the building, a cairn was constructed on the site.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records of the congregation and the managerial committee including minutes, annual reports, scrapbooks and cradle rolls.

Notes area

Physical condition

Item MJ-49.001 has degraded and brittle paper. Use caution in handling.

Immediate source of acquisition

Accession number 49.BA - source unknown.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids and file list available.

Associated materials

Minutes dated April 25, 1980 state that various records of the church “were placed to the archives in Saskatoon.” United Church of Canada - Saskatchewan Conference records are housed in the Saskatoon offices of the Saskatchewan Archives Board.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

This fonds was re boxed and foldered in 2004.

Location note

Boxes V-49, H-39 - H-40, M-1

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres