Justice Webb and Vincent Landscape Architects Ltd., 1951-1985.

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Justice Webb and Vincent Landscape Architects Ltd., 1951-1985.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985. Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC