Fonds Fonds197 - Justice and Webb Landscape Architects fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Justice and Webb Landscape Architects fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds197

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1954-[1974] (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

architectural drawings
25 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985. Desmond Muirhead & Associates, the first Vancouver-based firm to specialize in landscape architecture, was formed in 1951.The firm was joined by landscape architect Clive Justice in 1953 and by artist Harry J. Webb in 1955. The firm's name was changed to Muirhead & Justice Landscape Architects, and later, after Muirhead left the company in the 1960s, to Justice & Webb Landscape Architects. John Vincent joined the company in the late 1970s, after which the company's name was changed to Justice, Webb & Vincent Landscape Architects. The company designed mainly single family gardens and landscapes until the mid-1950s, when it began gradually to include such projects as sites for swimming pools, cabanas and similar structures, municipal parks, school grounds, public buildings and streets, commercial areas and townhouses. In the mid-1960s the firm also began a long involvement in the design and development of standards for landscapes on concrete slabs over underground parking for apartment blocks and towers in Vancouver's West End, Kerrisdale and Oakridge. Some of the firm's notable projects included Park and Tilford Gardens in North Vancouver, the University of British Columbia's Botanical Gardens, the University of Saskatchewan grounds, the Van Dusen Gardens, the Workers' Compensation Board office in Richmond, and parts of Oakridge Mall. The firm was dissolved in October, 1985.

Custodial history

Material from Justice Webb and Vincent Landscape Architects Ltd. was donated to the City of Vancouver Archives in 1993 and 1994; the City of Vancouver Archives subsequently transfered that portion of those records dealing with the University of Saskatchewan, to the University Archives in 1999.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of working files, correspondence, lists, plans, drawings, sketches and photographs pertaining to the planning and execution of landscaping at the U of S Saskatoon and Regina Campuses as well as St. Joseph College in Yorkton.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

A finding aid is available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres