View archival description
Fonds - Vallar School District No. 1020 fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
On August 10, 1903 ratepayers in the Gerald area (25-19-32-W1) petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories for the establishment of a school district. When the petition was denied, the ratepayers reduced the boundaries of the proposed district and filed another petition on April 7, 1904. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on April 21, 1904. Nine ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; three were against it. Valdimar Gislason, Gunnar Johannsson and Albert Paulson were elected trustees.
Vallar School District No. 1020 was established on May 9, 1904. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
Vallar means field or flat piece of ground in Icelandic, the origin of many of the first settlers in the Gerald area. The one room school, located at NW 21-19-32-W1, was built c.1904. In 1905, Vallar School District came under the jurisdiction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. The boundaries of the district were altered in 1923 and 1931. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Vallar School District became part of the Moosomin School Unit No. 9 on July 22, 1953. The school closed in 1957 and the students were conveyed to another district.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by the Vallar School District No. 1020, located in the Gerald, Saskatchewan district. The records include minutes of annual and board of trustees meetings from 1904 to 1966 and the account book of the secretary-treasurer showing receipts and expenditures from 1904 to 1948.
This fonds includes records created by the school district after the development of Unit administration.
No series has been applied to the fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Associated / related material
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Vallar School District No. 1020, 1904-1953 (Creation)