View archival description
Fonds - Roman Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert fonds
Roman Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
39 m of textual records and other material
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Name of creator
Roman Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert
The ecclesiastical province of St. Boniface directed early missionary activities in Western Canada, north to the Arctic and west to British Columbia. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate were the first Roman Catholic missionaries in this area, travelling through Fort Carlton in 1838 on their way to the west coast and ministering the sacraments throughout their journey. In 1871 Bishop Vital Grandin, o.m.i., became Bishop of the Diocese of St. Albert which included the area of Saskatchewan today. On June 2, 1891,the Apostolic Vicariate of Saskatchewan was formed with Bishop Albert Pascal named Bishop of Mosynopolis and Vicar Apostolic of Saskatchewan. Stationed in the town of Prince Albert, he was the first resident Roman Catholic bishop in Saskatchewan. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Prince Albert was officially formed on December 2, 1907. At that time the districts of Ile-à-la Crosse and Cumberland were detached to form part of the Apostolic Vicariate of Keewatin. The Diocese of Regina came into being in 1910. The Benedictine Monastery, in Muenster, founded in 1903, became Saint Peter's Abbey Nullius in 1922 along with its missions. Later on the Diocese of Saskatoon was separated from Prince Albert Diocese in 1933. The geographic boundaries of the Diocese of Prince Albert were now set.
Name of creator
La Corporation Episcopale Catholique Romaine de Prince Albert
Scope and content
The fonds consists of records created by the Bishops' Chancery Office in dealing with diocesan parishes, the clergy, religious orders, institutions, church organizations, other dioceses, and the Vatican in Rome, The fonds contains correspondence, manuscripts, historical notes, and news clippings; as well as photographs; copies of registers of sacraments sent annually from the parishes; some audio and video tapes of historic interest; architects plans of churches, some cemetery plans, and maps of the rural municipalities and miscellaneous.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Early records are predominantly in French, with some German, and a little Polish, and mainly English in later years.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
The Chancellor of the Diocese grants permission for appropriate research by individuals and parishes, and for the sharing of information with other archives at times. Matters of conscience and confidential legal papers are not shared with the general public.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
For publication, permission must be received from the diocese, and in the case of copied material from the archives where it originated.
Series inventory 1994
Associated / related material
Associated material: The Oblate Collection in the Provincial Archives of Alberta contains some information on the diocese, institutions, and parishes, (and has the 1891 to 1909 account book). of the Prince Albert Diocese.
More accruals are expected principally from the bishop's staff at the Chancery Office, Prince Albert.
- General note: Includes about 4 metres of photographs, 6 metres of architect plans and maps in tubes, 2 metres audio and video tapes