Series MJ-47/4 - Historical Files

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Historical Files

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Object

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

MJ-47/4

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1929-1975 (Creation)
    Creation
    Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park

Physical description area

Physical description

6.00 cm of textual records.
6 b&w photographs.
4 objects.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1928-1995)

Administrative history

The Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park Society was formed in 1928 following two years of promotion of the subject by Frank McRitchie, a Moose Jaw real estate agent. John R. Green allowed the use of several hundred acres of his property along the Moose Jaw River south of the City.
The park was officially opened on May 25, 1929, with events on the previous day as well. As it had not been officially named, it was called Chief Sitting Bull Park at the time of the opening but this was later dropped and was simply referred to as the Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park.
A number of native and non-native animals were imported and displayed including bison, bears, wolves and a variety of North American fowl. As time went on, more exotic animals were purchased including lions and a hippo which was injured in transport to Moose Jaw and had to be euthanized en route.
Breeding programs with wild turkey and pheasant are greatly responsible for the current populations of these species in Saskatchewan.
The park was owned/operated by several different groups:
From 1929 to 1958 it was operated by a volunteer group but by the 1950's it was felt that the group was too small to handle the operation and some of the service organizations were asked to get involved.
In 1958, operation of the park was taken over by a committee of the Moose Jaw Lions Club.
It was taken over by the provincial government ca. 1965 and operated as a regional park until 1987 when it was privatized by the Devine government.
It was operated by several private owners until 1994 when it was purchased by Dr. You Seuk Sung. He was unable to arrange liability insurance and the park was closed to the public in September 1995. Litigation followed over ownership and the length of time that Dr. Sung had been allowed to pursue insurance.
A Moose Jaw Wildlife Park Society was active in 2001, primarily to explore future use of the park lands.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series includes material about this history of the park, including past programs, guest books, postcards, brochures and booklets.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Location note

Boxes V-47, H-37, A-1

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres