Fonds MJ-141 - Green Family fonds

Original Digital object not accessible

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Green Family fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-141

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1919-1939 (Creation)
    Creation
    Green Family

Physical description area

Physical description

20.2 cm of textual records.
125 photographs: 123 b&w, 2 colour.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1859-1989)

Biographical history

Robert Barrett Green and Sarah Anne Elson married in Rippingale, England and immigrated to Canada in 1874. They had eight children: Frederick William (F. W), Annie Lizzie, Caroline, Harry, John Robert (John R.), George, Emily Mae and Alice.

John R. Green, was born in Rippingale, England in 1870. His family moved to Canada after spending some time in the United States. Green attended the Victoria School in Moose Jaw and started his teaching career in 1895 in the Boharm district. He later taught in the Pioneer and Marlborough districts before entering the real estate and insurance business. Green and his first wife, Annie Busley, had four sons: Wilbert, Alan, John and Arthur. He later married Alida Blakely in 1920 and they had four children: Robert, Harry, David and Mary. Green is well known for his advanced farming methods and donating 480 acres to establish the Moose Jaw Wild Animal Park. He died in July of 1938.

F. W. Green (1859-1915), came to Moose Jaw in 1882 and is considered one of Moose Jaw’s pioneers. He was a farmer. Green was extremely involved with the Saskatchewan Agricultural Society and the Saskatchewan Grain Growers’ Association. He also acted as the agricultural representative of the University Advisory Board for Saskatchewan. Suffering from anemia, Green travelled with his wife and brother John to Montreal to seek medical care from hematology experts. He died in Montreal in 1915. Margaret Green died November 8, 1951 at age 93.

Margaret “Eva” Green was born in Moose Jaw in 1900 to F. W. and Margaret Green, one of nine children. She was educated at the Victoria School, Central Collegiate, the Margaret Eaton School in Toronto, and the Normal School in Regina. Eva taught kindergarten in Moose Jaw from 1935-1963. She was very involved with the Zion United Church. She died December 26, 1989 in Moose Jaw, predeceased by all but one (Sara Hunter) of her siblings.

Frances Green was born in 1900. Frances attended Moose Jaw Collegiate and was a member of the basketball team. She became the librarian at the Moose Jaw Normal School and coached the school’s girls basketball team. She eventually moved to Saskatoon where she became a staff member of the department of hygiene and physical training in 1931. There, she coached the girls baseball team. She married James Ernest Pascoe in 1943. Frances died in 1987.

William Robert (W.R.) Green was born on October 12, 1889. He trained as a lawyer, and enlisted with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Winnipeg on March 1, 1916. Eventually promoted to rank of major, W.R. was killed in action on the Vimy-Lens front on June 3, 1917 in France. He was buried in the Villers Station Cemetery in France.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains material about the Green Family. It includes a program from the Moose Jaw School District No. 1 Semi-Centennial, where on page 11 John R. Green wrote about his memories of the school, a Margaret Eaton School Calendar, where Eva Green is listed as a student in 1929, and an RNS Program. It also includes Zion United Church booklets that lists Frances and Eva Green’s names, a booklet for the Fran Pieran Club, a G.P. Plaxton Real Estate booklet, a binder belonging to Eva Green that contains newspaper clippings booklets on local council, business and professional women, and other things of interest, and three Central Collegiate school yearbooks belonging to Eva and Frances Green.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

The first accrual was donated to the archives by Marion White in 1998.

Accession 13.2018 was donated to the archives by Marion White in 1994.

Accession 29.2018 was donated to the archives by Margot Keeler on April 19, 2018.

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and file list available. See attached finding aid.

Uploaded finding aid

Associated materials

Photographs 2000-61 - 2000-81 and 2012-667 - 2012-673 have been added to the main photographic collection.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

This fonds was re-boxed and refoldered in 2012.

Location note

Boxes V-192, OS-43, V-357

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area