Fundo FA6 - General Council of Local Union Churches fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

General Council of Local Union Churches fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Variations in title: Previously identified as Local Unions, General Council of Local Union Churches sub-series (A381.VIII.B.1 to 6).

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

FA6

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • ca.1915–1924 (Produção)
    Produção
    General Council of Local Union Churches of Western Canada

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

1.9 cm (approx.) textual records

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(ca.1912–1925)

História administrativa

In 1908, the Basis of Union was formulated that would eventually lead to the creation of the United Church of Canada in 1925. Coinciding with this spirit of unity, the first Union church (Presbyterian and Methodist) was set up in Melville, Saskatchewan in 1908, followed a short time later by the church in Frobisher. In 1912, a committee of Union Churches approached the national church courts of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregational denominations in order to seek affiliation with the parent churches. This committee formed the nucleus of what would become the General Council of Union Churches of Western Canada. An Advisory Council, with representatives of the Union Churches and the parent churches, was established in 1914 as a means of creating the sought after link between the Union Churches and the parent churches.

História custodial

Records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear. The additional “W.H. Hughes” file(s) appears to have been assembled around 1955, before joining the other Union materials, at the Conference Archives.

From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.

Âmbito e conteúdo

The fonds consists of textual materials created by and relating to the General Council of Local Union Churches, its Policy Committee and related individuals and bodies.

Contents include: minutes of the Policy Committee (c1920), a report to the General Council of Local Union Churches of Western Canada (1921), and resolutions passed by the General Council (1922); publications relating to the General Council (1921-1924); correspondence regarding Union Churches and Cooperative Churches (1924); and an address “The Evolution of Organic Church Union in Canada”, given by the Chairman at a General Council Meeting, on April 5, 1915.

There is also a group of additional materials on the topic of Local Unions, created/collected by the Rev. W.H. Hughes. This contains some originals and some copies of archival materials, along with other documents written and/or assembled by Hughes.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items formerly listed under A.381.VIII.B were arranged sometime before 1990.

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan, Regina office (microfilm reference number R.10), or from the United Church of Canada Archives, in Toronto, Ontario (General Council of Union Churches of Western Canada fonds, F225).

Restrições de acesso

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.

Instrumentos de descrição

GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in sections A.381.VIII.B.1 to 6. Microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.

Materiais associados

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

No further accruals are expected.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Locais

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Locais relacionados

Géneros relacionados