Fonds F2 - Family Service Bureau of Regina fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Family Service Bureau of Regina fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

F2

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1992 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.81 metres of textual records
6 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Custodial history

Rod McLeod, executive director of the Family Service Bureau of Regina (1976-1982) donated these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in three accessions between 1981 and 1995: R81-599 (December 22, 1981); R85-529 (December 20, 1985); and R95-270 (September 15, 1995).

Scope and content

The fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used from 1913 to 1992 by the officers and staff of the Bureau of Public Welfare; the Regina Welfare Bureau and the Family Service Bureau of Regina.

The types of records included are correspondence, memoranda, agendas and minutes, annual reports, financial statements, statistics, briefs, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, intake books, by-laws, questionnaires, newsletters and photographs.

No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Arrangement imposed by archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are subject to access restrictions according to the terms of an agreement with the donor dated December 22, 1981. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication and/or reproduction of records are subject to terms of an agreement with the donor and the conditions of the Copyright Act.

Finding aids

SAFA 121 (old guide GR 245) consists of a fonds description and file listings of textual records. Item descriptions of photographs are available in the Historical Photographs (Regina) card catalogue.

Associated materials

Related material: R-E1447 or S-F515: Let the Family Flourish: A History of the Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1913-1982 by James M. Pitsula. A copy of the Regina Welfare Bureau's 1949 annual report is located in the Ruth S. McGill fonds (R-936).

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Other codes: Textual records: old guide GR 245 (R-603, R-1777); Photographs: R-B12537 to R-B12541 and R-B14113

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres