The Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

The Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC