Fonds RG 2106 - Extension Division Director/Dean's Office fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Extension Division Director/Dean's Office fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RG 2106

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1915-2012, predominant 1932-1977. (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

15.4 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1963-2007)

Administrative history

In 1910 the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture turned over to the University the responsibility for the development and delivery of agricultural and women's extension programs throughout the Province. To fulfill this mandate, the Department of Agricultural Extension (1910) and Women's Work (1913) were established within the College of Agriculture. Initially the activities of Agricultural Extension focussed on services to the Agricultural Societies--short courses, institutes (meetings and conferences), plowing matches, field crop contests, stock judging, etc. During the war years, a Better Farming Train toured the province providing lectures and demonstrations and presenting exhibits on matters pertaining to agriculture. In 1915 "educational holidays" or camps were initiated for farm boys and girls and in 1918 4-H clubs were formed throughout Saskatchewan. Farm and Home Week, a period of exhibits, lectures, and demonstrations at the University, was introduced in the early 1930s. Special projects and programmes for rural women were offered through Homemaker's Clubs established in 1911. In addition to basic domestic activities, women received advice and instruction in fruit growing, tree planting, home nursing, water supply and purity, libraries, health and welfare services, etc. Adult Education services, begun in 1938 in response to forces for social reconstruction, consisted in part of groups formed to discuss planning, economics, cooperatives, government institutions and policies, international affairs, trade unions, etc. This was a logical expansion of the variety of information (bulletins, leaflets), informal (lectures, demonstrations), public (testing, analyses), professional (training), and cultural (drama, music) services, as well as a variety of services to governments at all levels. In 1949 the work of Agricultural Extension and Women's Work were combined in the Department of Extension. It remained a department in the College of Agriculture until 1963 when administrative responsibility was transferred to the Office of the President and renamed the Extension Division. The name changed again in 1979 to Division of Extension and Community Relations. It was changed back to Extension Division in 1990. The following individuals have served as Director or Dean: [of Agricultural Extension, or the Division]: F.H. Auld (1910-1912); S.E. Greenway (1912-1919); J.G. Rayner (1919-1952); R.D. Ramsay (1952-1963); H.R. Baker (1963-1974); W.B. Whale (1974-1984); R.E. Brack (1984-1991); D.G. Thompson (1992-- ). [of Women's Work]: A. DeLury (1913-1930); B.G. Oxner (1930-1950); A. Stevens (1950-1953); M.H. Pattilo (1953- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains material relating to all activities undertaken by the Extension Division. These records generally contain correspondence, minutes, reports, and memoranda; as well as publications and bulletins, and information on various provincial and national associations, societies, or clubs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff, and students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aids available: by series; file title lists only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area