Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously identified as Estevan Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.8) and Alameda Presbytery sub-series (A.381.V.B.2 and B.3).
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada Arcola-Estevan Presbytery
- United Church of Canada Estevan Presbytery
- Presbyterian Church in Canada Alameda Presbytery
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Name of creator
Estevan Presbytery was the new name given to Alameda Presbytery, by the first Saskatchewan Conference (October 1925). As Alameda Presbytery, it was one of the original 16 that were established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries for both Alameda Presbytery and Weyburn Presbytery were to follow the recommendation of a joint meeting of Alameda and Weyburn Presbyteries, from the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan, and the Weyburn District of the Methodist Saskatchewan Conference.
In 1951, Arcola and Estevan Presbyteries amalgamated, becoming the Arcola-Estevan Presbytery.
Name of creator
Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.
From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of textual materials generated by Alameda, Estevan and Arcola-Estevan Presbyteries, their secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada and by the Presbyterian Church in Canada, prior to 1925.
Contents include minutes (1906-1951) and Statistical Records of Home Missions (1912-1935). Minute books document meetings of pre-union Alameda Presbytery, as well as United Church successor, Estevan Presbytery.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material