Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1901, ratepayers in the Lampman district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The proposed boundaries of the school district were revised several times. Fairview and Mount Pleasant were suggested as names before Willmar was approved as the choice.
Willmar School District No. 649 was established on December 6, 1901. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
The board of trustees borrowed $250.00 to build and furnish a one room school, located on NW 16-6-4-W2 and opened in 1902. A few years later, the school was moved to NE 17-6-4-W2. On November 17, 1914 the name of Willmar School District was changed to Erin School District No. 649. The name was suggested by C. Ireland, Secretary-Treasurer of the former and new district. The boundaries of the district were altered on November 20, 1914 and December 8, 1914. the newly established Willmar School District No. 3476 encompassed the hamlet of Willmar and surrounding area while Erin School District No. 649 included the western portion of the original Willmar district.
Erin School remained closed for the majority of 1915. In the fall, the school was moved to NE 18-6-4-W2 and reopened in 1916 with Miss L.E. Dallas as teacher. The school closed in 1936 due to the small number of school age children in the area and remained so until 1945, when it reopened with seven students. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Erin School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2 on November 15, 1944. In 1952, the school was closed and students were conveyed to Willmar School.