Fonds MJ-120 - Moose Jaw Elks Club fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Moose Jaw Elks Club fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

MJ-120

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1910-2007 (Creation)
    Creation
    Elks of Canada
    Place
    Moose Jaw

Physical description area

Physical description

312 cm of textual records and other materials.
Note: Includes 19 sets of architectural drawings, 1 poster, 108 slides, 252 negatives, 105 b&w photographs, and 832 col. photographs.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1913)

Administrative history

The Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks was founded in the United States by Charles Algernon Vivian during the mid 19th century. Inspired by their American neighbours, the first B. P. O Elks Lodge in Canada was founded in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1912. The Elks of Canada are a fraternal and charitable organization whose volunteers (over 12 000 nationally) serve community needs across Canada. The Elks were organized in Moose Jaw from 1909-1913 under the Church-Lewis group. In 1913, the group decided to become associated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks of the Dominion of Canada, and was instituted on August 5, 1913. The group stayed together until 1915, but seemed to disappear until 1920. The Moose Jaw Lodge #7 was reinstituted on July 12, 1920 and has been in operation ever since. The Moose Jaw Elks support the community in a variety of ways. They started a program to assist in the construction of senior citizens’ homes and their charity fund, the Elks and Royal Purple Fund for Children, helps families with children with medical needs. The Elks met in the Cruikshank home at 358 Langdon Crescent from 1934 until 2008. Since 2008, the Moose Jaw Lodge #7 meets at the Royal Canadian Legion building in Moose Jaw.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The Elks Club fonds consists of 11 series: Scrapbooks and Clippings, Financial Records, Legal Documents, Meetings and Conferences, Publications, Correspondence, Membership, Events, Rules and Regulations, History of the Lodge and Lodge Renovations. This fonds also contains some material from the Elks Club auxiliary group, The Order of the Royal Purple.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

This material was donated to the Moose Jaw Public Library Archives Department by the Moose Jaw Elks Lodge #7, through Alex Wilson, in 2009.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Conservation

This fonds was re-boxed and foldered in 2012.

Location note

Box V 132 – V-155, OS-25 and H-76 – H-81.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres