Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On February 11, 1908, ratepayers in the Dilke, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After several revisions to the proposed boundaries, the department granted approval and the first organizational meeting was held on October 2, 1909. Only two ratepayers voted and no further action was taken at that time. On January 26, 1910, the ratepayers filed a second petition, which was approved, and a meeting was held on March 5, 1910. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; none was against it. Matthew Young, Casper Schuler and O.P. Holland were elected trustees.
The Edwards School District No. 2535 was established on March 9, 1910. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to teachers and students; settling disputes; administering grants; maintaining school records and accounts.
The school district took its name from Charles Edwards, a pioneer rancher in the district. Five students were taught in a farmhouse by Grace Belcher before the one room school, located on NW 17-21-24-W2, was built c.1911. Miss Nellie Cameron was the first teacher. The school was destroyed by fire on January 9, 1930 and the students were taught in an unused house moved onto the school grounds until a new school opened in the fall of 1930. The school closed in June, 1954 and the students were conveyed to other districts. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Edwards School District No. 2535 joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by the Edwards School District No. 2535, located in the Dilke, Saskatchewan district. The records include the secretary-treasurer's correspondence from 1928-1929 and 1959-1968; minutes of annual and board of trustees meetings, 1910-1966; legislation regarding The Larger School Units Act; various financial records including invoices and receipts, cancelled cheques, cheque stubs, a bank book, and secretary-treasurer's account books; daily attendance registers from 1929-1951; Grade 9 promotion examination results from 1929.
This fonds includes records created by the school district after the development of Unit administration.
No series has been applied to this fonds.