Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1881-1940, predominant 1881-1885 (Creation)
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Edward K. Matheson was born on April 21, 1855 in Kildonan, Rupert's Land to Hugh and Letitia (Pritchard) Matheson. He received his early education in the Anglican parish schools of Middlechurch, Kildonan and St. John's.
In the summer of 1877, Matheson joined a group of Anglican missionaries travelling west from Manitoba to the North-West Territories. Between 1877 and 1879, he taught at missions in Snake Plains and Sandy Lake. In 1879, Matheson began studies in divinity at Emmanuel College in Prince Albert. He was ordained deacon on May 2, 1880 and achieved priesthood on April 10, 1881. Matheson graduated from Emmanuel College in 1882 as its first divinity graduate, winning the Lieutenant-Governor's prize for academic achievement.
Between 1882 and 1886, Matheson served the parishes and missions of St. Catherine, St. Paul and Fort Carlton in the Prince Albert district. As a missionary during the North-West Rebellion of 1885, he successfully organized meetings of parishioners in order that resolutions of loyalty might be passed in spite of the fighting. Matheson was appointed Rural Dean of Carlton and later Rural Dean of Battleford.
In August, 1886, Matheson was appointed the first Anglican clergyman at Lethbridge. He organized the construction of St. Augustin Church which opened on March 20, 1888 and presided there until he was appointed to St. George's Church at Battleford on May 24, 1888. He presided at St. George's until 1893 when he was appointed the first Anglican missionary of Saskatoon. He later opened missions at Prongua, Willowmore and Baljennie.
In 1895, Matheson was appointed principal of the Battleford Industrial School and served as such until the school's closure in 1914. He was also ordained Archdeacon of Athabasca in 1904 and Canon of St. Alban's Pro-Cathedral in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan on November 1, 1912. Matheson retired from service in January, 1923 but maintained a keen interest in the activities of the Anglican church. In May, 1924, he received a Doctor of Divinity degree from Emmanuel College in recognition of his distinguished service to the church. Rev. Canon Edward Matheson, D.D. died on January 1, 1931 in Battleford.
Edward Matheson was married to Josephine Raymond from July, 1892 until her death in 1903. He later married Eleanor Shepphird in 1905.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by Rev. Canon Edward K. Matheson between 1881 and 1931 in his work as an Anglican clergyman in the Diocese of Saskatoon and the Diocese of Saskatchewan. The records primarily relate to Matheson's involvement as a missionary during the North-West Rebellion of 1885.
The types of records included are clippings; correspondence; reports; a proclamation; and a biography of Edward K. Matheson.
No series arrangement has been assigned to the fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Related material: F 200 Ruth M. Buck: includes records of and pertaining to Rev. Canon Edward K. Matheson. GS 9 (S-A113): Campbell Innes fonds - includes Volume 1, Number 3, 1927, a biography of Rev. Canon K. Matheson, D.D. R-214.1: Robert Archibald Logan fonds - includes Volume 1, Number 3, 1927, a biography of Rev. Canon K. Matheson, D.D. R-E3932: Canadian North-West Historical Society - includes Volume 1, Number 3, 1927, a biography of Rev. Canon K. Matheson, D.D. S-A948: Synod of the Diocese of Saskatoon - includes a bound copy of Journal of Proceedings autographed by Rev. Canon Edward K. Matheson. Clippings file: E.K. Matheson - includes a biography of Matheson. Photographs of Canon Edward K. Matheson are contained in the holdings of Saskatchewan Archives. Consult the Regina Historical Photographs catalogue and the Threshold database for descriptions of these records.
Associated material: The Prince Albert Historical Society holds a copy of the Canadian North-West Historical Society Publication Volume 1, Number 3, 1927, a biography of Rev. Canon Edward K. Matheson, D.D.