Title and statement of responsibility area
Division of Facilities Management fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
0.64 m of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In early 1909 it was announced that the University of Saskatchewan would be situated in Saskatoon on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River and the first group of buildings were opened in 1912. The current 755 hectare site includes 147 hectares of campus, 30 hectares of research park, and a large University Farm and Experimental Plot. The University also owns under lease a 52 hectare site on Emma Lake used for summer session classes in Biology and Art. The University of Saskatchewan owns and operates three research farms used primarily by the Colleges of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine. Charged with maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant was the Superintendent of Buildings, later the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, and from 1983 the Director (now Executive Director) of Physical Plant. In 1996 Physical Plant was renamed Division of Facilities Management. The following have served as Superintendent of Buildings: A.R. Grieg (1909-1937); W.E. Lovell (1937-1947); W.J. Robson (1947-1957); J.A. Wedgewood (1957-1969); A.D. Reed (1969- ).
Scope and content
This fonds contains building files from the early years of the University (1916-1941). These files include correspondence with the architect, contractor, superintendent of buildings, architect's representative as well as progress estimates, reports on work completed, and inspection reports. Also included are approximately 1300 slides detailing every element of the original administration building and architectural drawings of campus buildings and a computer tape backup of the scanned architectural plans and drawings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to files containing personal information about faculty, staff or students in restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available: file title list only.
Further accruals expected.