Fonds Fonds 2090 - Department of Physiology fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Physiology fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds 2090

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1938-1952 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Topics in human physiology first appeared at the University of Saskatchewan in 1914. They were initially presented in Pharmacy and Chemistry classes. The Department of Physiology was created in 1926 to meet the needs of the pre-medical students enrolled in the newly created School of Medical Sciences. With the opening of the College of Medicine the department took on the additional task of teaching Pharmacology, and from 1951 to 1969 was known as the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology. Although students in the health-related professions claim the bulk of teaching efforts, the Department prepares undergraduate students for graduation with General, Advanced, and Honours B.SC. degrees. The department maintains an active research program through which it offers training in physiology at the Master's, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral levels. Faculty also provides refresher courses for groups such as Physical Therapists, Optometrists, Pharmacists and hospital residents. The following have served as department head: J.M.D. Scott (1927-1930); J. Fiddles (1930-1946); L.B. Jaques (1946-1972); G.J. Millar (1972-1973); J.W. Phillis (1973-1982); M.M. McDuffie (Acting 1982-1984); M.M. McDuffie (1984-1989); J.A. Thornhill (1989- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains correspondence, memoranda, minutes and reports related to the administration and activities of the department. Included are applications to various agencies which provide grants for medical research (1952-1974). These files consist of applications, biographical data, project proposals, correspondence and reports of results.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal records relating to faculty, staff and students are restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area