Archief Fonds 2043 - Department of Physics fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Department of Physics fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

referentie code

Fonds 2043

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1900-1974, predominant 1932-1974 (Vervaardig)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

4.38 m of textual records. - 1 film reel. - 4 magnetic tapes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

Institutionele geschiedenis

The first class in physics was offered during the 1910-1911 session. The department was charged with the task of developing classes designed to meet the physical science needs of all University colleges. The purchase of seismic instruments, the establishment of a campus weather station, and the planning and construction of the Physics Building were achieved during the department's first decade. Faculty interests in the 1920s and 1930s served as the foundation for much of the department's future research. Expertise in meteorology, climatology, and the physics of the aurora led to the creation of the Institute of Upper Atmospheric Physics (1956), the Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (1965), and the Space Engineering Division (SED Ltd) in 1965. Interest in nuclear physics led to the purchase of the Betatron (1948), the first non-commercial cobalt-60 unit for cancer treatment (1952), and the linear accelerator (1964). The following have served as head of the department: J.L. Hogg (1911-1919); A.G. McGougan (1919-1924); E.L. Harrington (1924-1952); B.W. Currie (1952-1961); R.N.H. Haslam (1961-1964); L. Katz (1956-1976); R. Montalbetti (9176-1991); E.J. Llewellyn (1991-1993); H.S. Caplan (1993- ).

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

This fonds contains reports, correspondence, minutes, blue prints, and a visitor's book regarding the planning for and opening of the Betatron Project. Also included are a CBC film and a four magnetic tapes regarding the opening of the Linear Accelerator. Another subgroup includes meteorological records kept by the department between 1900 and 1968. A third subgroup includes the log books of Dr. Balfour Currie regarding his research of auroras during the Second International Polar Year (1932-1933).

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff and students is restricted.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres